Dr. Armando Payas was born in Santiago of Cuba, Cuba, on January 1, 1929. He received his elementary education in AColegio La Salle@ and the secondary education in AInstituto de Segunda Enseñanza de Santiago de Cuba@. He earned his Doctorate of Jurisprudence from Havana University in 1953 and began practicing law in his native city, as a criminal attorney. In 1955 he was appointed Notary Public, a prestigious position, by the Ministry of Justice after a very difficult exam and process.
He arrived in Miami, on March 10, 1962, without any knowledge of the English language. He began working as Director of the Foreign Language lab. It was a challenge and difficult position because it was a discipline that he had no expertise and in addition the lack of command of the English language.
In 1966, he was admitted at the Florida State University and in two consecutive summers he obtained his Master Degree. He was appointed Instructor at USF in the 1967-68 Academic year. On January 1, 1969, he and his family moved to Tallahassee to complete his PHD in Philosophy.
In 1972, The Supreme Court of the State of Florida approved a program, under which the Cuban-American lawyers would have the opportunity to enroll in the University of Florida Law School, taking courses necessary to earn a Law Degree and to be able to take the Florida Bar examination. On November 19, 1976 he was licensed to practice law by the Supreme Court of State of Florida.
He and two of his sons, Armando Ricardo and Carlos Eduardo are the founders and senior partners of the law firms, Payas, Payas & Payas, LLP., with offices located in Orlando, Kissimmee and Deltona with a long history of serving the Central Florida, Kissimmee and Deltona communities.
- Real Estate
- Estate Planning
- Business Transactions
- Florida Bar 1976. Santiago of Cuba, Cuba 1953
- U.S. District Court, District of Florida
- J.D., University of Florida, law school, year 1975. Cuban American Lawyers Program
- Ph.D., Florida State University, year 1970.
- J.D., Havana University, year 1953
- B.A., major, Foreign Languages, Florida State University, 1967 and Instituto de Segunda Enseñanza, Santiago of Cuba, Cuba. Year 1948
- Florida State Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
Articles (or Publications)
- La Sociedad Española en las Novelas Ejemplares de Cervantes@. Talleres Gráficos de la Editorial EUNED, San Jose, Costa Rica, Publication year 1985.
- Additional articles. Tipos Sociales en Cervantes, Nueva Conciencia, Revista del Instituto “Bernaldo de Quirós” Spain.
- He was member of the first Hispanic Advisory Board appointed by the Mayor of the City of Orlando and Chairman of the Hispanic Advisory Board appointed by the Sheriff of Orange County. Chairman of the Alliance Civic Hispanic of Central Florida, a civic organization dedicated to serve the Central Florida community.
Local charitable or other organizations
- Florida Heart Association